Friday 7 February 2014

Mini Book Review - House Rules by Jodi Picoult

I thought I would give a little book review a try. I love reading but often don't have time however, I have read a few books which I would love to rave about.


I have read quite a few of Jodi Picoult's books now but this is one of a couple that I have really liked. She has an unusual way of writing the book by changing the character in each chapter but always in first person. For some reason I can't read book which aren't in first person, I just don't connect with the characters enough and get too bored to carry on reading. Anyway... I'll tell you the blurb for the book:

Jacob Hunt is a teenager:brilliant at maths, wicked sense of humour, extraordinarily organised, hopeless at reading social cues. And Jacob has Asperger's. He is locked in his own world - but aware of the world outside, and wanting to make a connection. Jacob tries to be like everyone else, but doesn't know how.
When his tutor is found dead, all the hallmark behaviours of Jacob's syndrome - not looking someone in the eye, off movements, inappropriate actions - start looking a lot like guilt to the police. And Jacob's mother must ask herself the hardest question in the world: is her child capable of murder?

Something that I love about Picoult's books is that she tends to pick a main topic (in this case Asperger's) and then studies it in detail to ensure she can be very informative and detailed in the story she writes. Due to this, I find the book not only capturing because of the story being told but I also enjoy the educational side to it.

Something that isn't great about Picoult's books in general, but this is an example, is that I find they can drag on a little and, although they are good so I want to read on, some of the stories seem a little stretched to their limits.

All being said, I would recommend this book to anyone to read, it's probably more of a feminine book then masculine, but some men may enjoy it!

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment