Thursday 30 January 2014

Volunteering for Charities

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for me is an intense time of charity work. On a Wednesday I'm at British Red Cross helping in the charity shop. On a Thursday I'm at Asha helping with the art therapy, and then on Friday I'm back to Red Cross.

So, at British Red Cross I do a bit of everything from working on the tills, sorting, pricing up and putting things out. But recently I have been working on one particular project on my own. I've been sorting the summer stuff ready for April! It's not the most exciting thing in the world and I get surprisingly tired but when I start myself a little project, I have to finish it myself to feel satisfied.

This is the room I was sorting FROM at the start of the day.


This was the room I was sorting INTO at the start of the day (I had already been doing it previously, as you can tell).

So basically, I was sorting the bags from one room which were mixed items of clothing; ladies tops, ladies bottoms, men's tops, men's bottoms, children's etc. into the other room and putting all of the same items of clothing together and stacking them against the wall so that when the items are needed someone can easily go upstairs and grab a bag labeled 'ladies tops' (or whatever). I am just so helpful, you see?


This was the room I was sorting FROM a few hours later (it doesn't look much different but it is!).


This was the room I was sorting INTO a few hours later (I wish these photos really showed how much I did).

So that's what I'm currently doing at Red Cross (which doesn't sound interesting at all but it is alright!).

At Asha I'm doing some very different things by helping the women with their art. They are currently doing a project about designing whatever they want. A really good project to allow them all to do what they want and really express themselves through it. It has taken a few of them a while to come up with a subject matter to start designing. When they get going with a design though, it is amazing what they come up with. Things from dress designing, shoe designing, and then more art based projects with boxed collections and 'family' themed photography. However, I always start things (like volunteering at Asha) and want to give my all to it. I have so many ideas for things when I get started and it's something that I have to try and hold myself back from getting too involved. Especially when I have to think about the fact I already volunteer at these two charities, I now have a job starting next week and I have too online shops to run, as well as having a social life!

Anyway, my point is that this voluntary work has been amazing experience so far and my confidence has grown hugely. I would recommend volunteering to anyone. It's so rewarding to put your all into something with no judging because, at the end of the day, you are volunteering for the charity so you say how far you want to go.

When lying in bed on my laptop I look up and hanging on my wardrobe doors are my advent calenders (I have two). Yes, January 30th and my advent calenders are still not finished. I still have six chocolates to eat from each so I think I may have those now.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment